Monday, June 15, 2009

Spicy Coconut Eggplant Soup

Every time I go to a Thai place, the Tom Kha catches my eye because I am an insatiable coconut fiend. However, I always end up ordering a curry or slew of other things due to my stomach rumbling up at me and my brain deciding that a bowl of soup surely isn't enough food to quell its continuous roar.

Tonight, after being grilled for nearly 4 hours for my Garde Manger final, I wasn't feeling especially motivated to spend more than about 30 minutes in the kitchen. I figured this sort of dish would come together in that or less, so I decided to take a stab at making something Tom Kha inspired.

There wasn't a lot of planning involved in this one; I mostly wanted to use up some bits and pieces of items that have been patiently waiting in my crisper drawer to be consumed. Also, I didn't have the proper ingredients (such as galangal and kaffir lime leaves) to make an authentic Tom Kha Gai, so don't go telling your friends that's what it is if you decide to take a crack at it ;)

Spicy Coconut Eggplant Soup

3 c Vegetarian pho broth (or vegetable stock)
4 oz Rice stick noodles
5.5 fl oz Coconut milk
1 tsp sesame oil
1/4 c thinly sliced onion
4 oz firm tofu, bite size pieces
1/4 small eggplant, cut into 1" long pieces
Salt
Cayenne pepper

Garnish:
Red chili slices
Green onion
Fresh mint
Fresh Basil

  1. Bring the stock to a boil in a small saucepan and add noodles. Cook according to directions or until soft, about 8 minutes.
  2. Add coconut milk to stock and noodles and let simmer.
  3. Meanwhile, heat a small saute pan with the sesame oil over medium heat and caramelize the onions. Add the eggplant and tofu and cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
  4. Add the egglant mix to the coconut broth and let simmer for another 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and cayenne pepper to your taste. I added about 1/4 tsp of cayenne and a liberal sprinkling of salt. It was moderately spicy, but didn't make me break a sweat, so go ahead and add more if you like that sort of thing...
  5. Serve in bowls and top with sliced chili peppers, fresh herbs and green onion.
My take on it was very tasty in my book, but I felt myself yearning for some acidity. When I make it again, I'll venture out for some lime leaves, or at the very least a fresh lime for a drop or two (or three) of juice, to liven it up a bit.


And maybe next time I go out for Thai I will (finally) try out some authentic Tom Kha Gai for a bit of perspective. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm... but what about Tuesday's dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup looks outstanding. I am glad I found your blog! I have always wanted to be a chef! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete